Roasted my first batch of coffee. Went a lot quicker than expected. Beans started roasting about 1 minute in. Lol. Sometging tells me I'll have to dial down the heat to super low. Anyways, first batch is super duper dark. Aka burnt. LOL

I'll be roasting again tomorrow for a redo. At least now I can hear the difference between first and second crack. And yes, I'll still try a french press of this stuff in a couple days.
Last update on December 28, 1:47 am by SoCalOCMatt.
Donate Cigars For Troops at:
Matt Post
Troop Donations
4028 Hillside Ave
Norco, CA 92860
Did you say your were roasting in a whirly pop? Just for reference, it usually takes me about 7-10 minutes for a batch. Typically do about a 1/2 pound at a time. That seems to be the sweet spot of making it worth while and not having so much it doesn't roast evenly. I'm no expert by any means, but it tastes good so whatever. Also, make sure you don't seal them in anything for a day or so after you roast them. The beans need to gas out like you after taco Tuesday.

Did you say your were roasting in a whirly pop? Just for reference, it usually takes me about 7-10 minutes for a batch. Typically do about a 1/2 pound at a time. That seems to be the sweet spot of making it worth while and not having so much it doesn't roast evenly. I'm no expert by any means, but it tastes good so whatever. Also, make sure you don't seal them in anything for a day or so after you roast them. The beans need to gas out like you after taco Tuesday.

Yep. Using a whirly pop. I did a 1/2 cup test. I just put them in a ziplock bag and left it about 1/4 open to air out. Any reason not to just put them in an unsealed jar or is too much air in the first 24 hours a bad thing?
Matt Post
Troop Donations
4028 Hillside Ave
Norco, CA 92860
SoCalOCMatt said...

Yep. Using a whirly pop. I did a 1/2 cup test. I just put them in a ziplock bag and left it about 1/4 open to air out. Any reason not to just put them in an unsealed jar or is too much air in the first 24 hours a bad thing?

I usually just put them in a jar with the lid sitting on top. I don't know if that is right or not but that is what I do. My understanding from when I was reading up when I first started was that it just needed to be open enough for gas to escape. Again, I'm not expert and started where you did a year or two ago. Burning beans and trying to figure it out as I go. Even the crappy batches are usually better store bought coffee though.
The redo was much better. Had to tinker with the flame a little here and there but overall not bad.

And smoking this '10 Monte Petit Edmundo with a mug o' coffee wasnt bad either.
Matt Post
Troop Donations
4028 Hillside Ave
Norco, CA 92860
Looks good. Messing with the roast on the coffee is kind of fun. I was surprised at how a lighter roasts really shines on certain beans.

Looks like the finish on that ash tray isn't holding up great. Lesson learned on the tung oil.
IDK what you're looking at but that ashtray is sexy!
Matt Post
Troop Donations
4028 Hillside Ave
Norco, CA 92860
Went from half cup tests to full cup and switch to Columbian Supremo.

Firsr go was light. Wanted to see how that tasted. It was too light and bland. Peanut in scent.

Roasted some more today and this seems to have turned out good. I'll know tomorrow.
Matt Post
Troop Donations
4028 Hillside Ave
Norco, CA 92860
Now that I have a few batches under my belt I just started blending beans. First go was Brazillian Santos and Samatra Mandheling. It turned out pretty good. This round is Brazillian Santos and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.

Matt Post
Troop Donations
4028 Hillside Ave
Norco, CA 92860
Still roasting and still using the whirly pop. So far my favorite blend remains Brazillian Santos and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I roast a couple cups at a time and that tend to last me a week or two. Here's the latest batch. I ran French press with some of the fresh beans. So good!

Matt Post
Troop Donations
4028 Hillside Ave
Norco, CA 92860
SoCalOCMatt said...

Still roasting and still using the whirly pop. So far my favorite blend remains Brazillian Santos and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I roast a couple cups at a time and that tend to last me a week or two. Here's the latest batch. I ran French press with some of the fresh beans. So good!

Looking great. When I have more kitchen space, I will be attempting the roasting of coffee.
I am not bad, I am just drawn that way. Now pass me that cigar and nobody gets hurt.
I am compact evil with a caramel center!! Evil with just a tad sweet core! Wink

TRADER FEEDBACK
SoCalOCMatt said...

Looking good. Glad you stuck with it. Crazy how good the fresh coffee is. I'm still rocking the whirly pop too.
Update.
Coffee roasting is coming along solid. I’ve tried numerous varieties and even picked up some single farm beans. The single farm is a favorite way to go for me because I can compare the difference between beans grown at different altitudes.

It is crazy to see how much gas is produced with fresh beans.

I’m now roasting almost ever week.

Last update on August 17, 12:26 pm by SoCalOCMatt.
Matt Post
Troop Donations
4028 Hillside Ave
Norco, CA 92860