Instead of creating a bunch of threads I will just update this one with my latest activities. Feel free to ask questions, leave comments, or tell me that my recipes suck...

I love homebrewing and hopefully I can help out some brothers if they dare dip their toes into another hobby.

Cheers
I will start off by giving my background. My now wife bought me an Brewers Best homebrewing kit for my birthday last year (11/2014). This is where it all went down hill. I quickly started making the Brewers Best premade extract kits. I started off by doing partial boils on the kitchen stove, but quickly graduated to full boil (turkey fryer setup) and creating my own extract kits by purchasing grains, hops, yeast, and extract form a local home brew store.

Before my first batch was done fermenting, I was given a free fridge so I decided to skip the bottles and go straight into kegging. I'll leave out the details, but if you're interesting click on the attached link.

Next up was controlling fermentation temperature. I had some off flavors in my first batches and I learned one of the most important things to do was to control the temp during fermentation. Instead of buying something I decided to design and fabricate my own. I had a bunch of scrap materials laying around so I pout them to use. Again, I will spare the details, but if you are interested in mn this DIY, click on the other attached link.

Both of these were designed and built within 45 days of me receiving that original birthday gift from my wife... So as you can see I have a problem.
Last update on June 28, 10:28 am by Justin.
Attachments
Next up was learning about yeast. As all homebrewers know, we make wort, but yeast makes beer. We need to take care of our yeast. My next DIY was creating a stir plate to make yeast starters. I don't have a good write up for this, since I took the idea from others. But attached is a link to some pictures documenting the build, and the use of the stir plate. Some of you will like the use of the cigar box.

I now have a set up that will allow me to harvest the used yeast from previous batches for future use. I know have a collection different yeasts in my fridge.
Last update on July 12, 1:07 pm by Justin.
Attachments
   likes this.
Finally, my last upgrade was to move to all grain brewing. No more buying malt extract. I put together new equipment and began that journey about a month ago. I use 2 10 gal igloo coolers and 16 gal boil kettle. I still use an immersion chiller to cool with, but my friend has a counterflow that I get to use if we brew together.

I have made 3 all grain batches so far. Next up is to create a 2 tier brew stand in my garage. This will include the use of a chugger pump. I also want to make my own counterflow chiller.
With the background over I will start with the "where am I now" type of updates.

Currently on tap I have the following beer. For those who don't know, homebrewing kegs are typically 5 gallons (~50 12 oz beers).

Tap 1: Anti-wood 60 Minute IIPA
Tap 2: 7 C's A Day APA
Tap 3 (on Nitro): Morning Wood Breakfast Stout
Tap 4: Irish Red
Tap 5: Cream of 3 Crops Ale

I have 2 cases of the Cream of 3 Crops in bottles as well (I made 10 gallons)

I have Citra Moon in the secondary (blue moon hopped with citra).

Yesterday I made a Centennial Blonde Recipe. I will post pictures and the recipe later.
Last update on June 28, 10:33 am by Justin.
   likes this.
This is good... it is gonna get me off my arse and get something boiling and in the fermenter. Smile

I brew 2.5 gallon batches (I can't drink that much on my own) and have two that need brewed up ASAP. First is a double rye session ipa and second is a KBS clone that I am gonna try on cedar.

Must say, controlling ferment temps in WA are much easier than it was in FL!

Thanks for putting this up, and I look forward to seeing where it goes. Cheers
Centennial Blonde - Recipe from Homebrewtalk.com

This is the most replied to thread in the recipe section on homebrewtalk. I decided to give it a try since it could be a nice light summer beer. I made 5 gallons but both 5 and 10 gallon recipes are available.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5 & 11
Original Gravity: 1.039
Final Gravity: 1.008
IBU: 21.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60-75
Color: 3.9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 days at 68 Degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days at 68 Degrees
Additional Fermentation: Kegged, chilled and Carb'd for one week

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes. I used a 1.25 qt of water per pound of grain ratio. I sparged with 2 qt of water per pound of grain.

My OG came in a little high (which means I had a better than 70% efficiency). Recipe calls for 1.039 and I achieved a 1.045. I also transferred my cooled wort directly onto a used yeast cake (from the citra moon primary bucket). This was US-05 yeast. I had fermentation in less than 3 hours. I have the bucket in my ferm chamber at 62F (so the wort is probably 66-70)

likes this.
Nice duder. I was a super gung-ho homebrewer for about 5 years. Unfortunately, it became an unsustainable hobby for me for a variety of reasons. It's one of the funnest ones I've ever been involved with. Looks like you caught the bug big time. I was a frequenter on HBT for quite a few years, and that centennial blonde from Biermuncher is a great recipe. And nice looking set up you have there!
   likes this.
Now time to brew today, but I kegged the citra moon and transferred the centennial blonde to a secondary. The citra moon smelled amazing. I can't wait to try it.

likes this.
Thinking I'd like to the up to the store today for the goods... been sitting on this recipe for a long time now, slowly adjusting a few things here and there. It's an adaption from a zymurgy KBS clone.

The grain bill is set for a partial mash system. I have a pretty small apt and the kitchen isn't adequate for a full grain system. Only brewing 2(ish) gallon batches right now too.

Just looking for some thoughts...

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: KBCedar Stout

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 2.25 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.024
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.099
Final Gravity: 1.026
ABV (standard): 9.61%
IBU (tinseth): 75.29
SRM (morey): 50

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (28.6%)
0.75 lb - Flaked Oats (10.7%)
0.375 lb - American - Roasted Barley (5.4%)
0.375 lb - Belgian - Chocolate (5.4%)
0.25 lb - Belgian - De-Bittered Black (3.6%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (3.6%)
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Munich - (late addition) (42.9%)

HOPS:
0.35 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 52.12
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 14.49
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 8.68

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 155 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.25 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 190 F, Time: 0 min, Amount: 3.25 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1.25 oz - Dark chocolate , Time: 15 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
0.75 oz - Unsweetened cocoa nibs, Time: 15 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
1 oz - Med course ground coffee, Time: 0 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
1 oz - Cold pressed coffee, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F

NOTES:
1.25qrt/lb mash in (1.25 gallons)

.125/lb grain absorbtion
Approx .5 gallon absorbed

Estimated 264 oz boil off (2 gallons)

4.5 gallons required

Munich dme will be MO if available

Cedar and bourbon additions to taste
So you like to make beer........

Noted!
You just tell'em I'm comin' and that's enough!

2 Cor. 10:4 Read it!

http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Stiks
Stiks said...

So you like to make beer........

Noted!

That's right! Justin loves him some homebrewin
jaysalti said...

Thinking I'd like to the up to the store today for the goods... been sitting on this recipe for a long time now, slowly adjusting a few things here and there.

My only thoughts are about adding the coffee and cocoa to the boil vs putting them in the secondary. Also, I've used nibs before but not actual chocolate. Watch out about getting oil or fat in the wort. Lastly you can sub US 05 yeast and save 4 or 5 bucks. hydrate it and pitch it in. Notty, US 05, 1056 and wp001 are all the same (at least for what we do). You won't need a starter since you are only doing 2 gal. Make sure you have head space in your fermenting bucket. That high gravity will have lots of activity and could blow off the lid. Also, be sure to keep it cool, high Temps and high alcohol beers don't mix well.
Thanks! Was reading up and thinking is rather add more cold press and not whirlpool the ground coffee. Also, saw suggestions to use vodka to sterilize the nubs and add to secondary. Already have a vile of 1056, so just figured I'd use it up. Smile
jaysalti said...

Thanks! Was reading up and thinking is rather add more cold press and not whirlpool the ground coffee. Also, saw suggestions to use vodka to sterilize the nubs and add to secondary. Already have a vile of 1056, so just figured I'd use it up. Smile

Yeah, soak the nibs in alcohol. I used vanilla vodka in mine but I soaked vanilla beans and nibs.you could use bourbon too if that's the flavor you want.