Captain Call said...

Might it be Samuel gawith chocolate flake?

No way. Chocolate flake is puny compared to this stuff. And it ain't chocolate, either. But it is a flake, and it is by Samuel Gawith!

Captain Call said...

And has yours arrived yet?

Not yet.
The house that TAD built - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/gahdzila
Ok, they came in this morning, 4 samples labeled A through D.

I'm starting on sample A now. I haven't smoked much today, and my low nicotine level warning light is blaring at me. So I'll need to revisit this one later, when I can slow down a little more.

First impression is that it's a light aromatic, probably golden cavendish based, with some sort of booze topping (whiskey?). Unfortunately for me, I only rarely smoke this kinda stuff, so I seriously doubt i'll be able to guess it. For an aro, it sure is burning good.

The closest thing to this that I've tried is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.....but I don't think this is it. I don't think it's a Lane/Altadis bulk either, as it doesn't have that greasy PG feel to it.

My gut says this is something by Mac Baren. HH Highland, maybe, or Scottish Blend. Or something like that. Am I in the right ball park?

More research is definitely warranted. I'll go cram some snuff up my schnozz and get the ole vitamin N levels back up to par, and revisit this one later this afternoon.
Last update on April 27, 1:16 pm by gahdzila.
A little more work on Sample A.

I still don't have a clue what blend it is. I'm sticking with my previous assessment that it's a light aromatic, cavendish based, flavored with booze - maybe whiskey, maybe rum. I also get a vague "fruit" as well....not any specific fruit, just a fruitiness. On second thought....maybe pineapple??? I get a little bite when I push it too hard, so I'm thinking there's some Virginia in there. I don't detect any other tobacco componants, though it wouldn't surprise me if there was a little burley hiding in there (if there is, it ain't much, because there isn't much nicotine in this one). And I'm sticking with my previous assessment that this is quality stuff - something from Mac Baren or Peterson or somebody like that, not a cheap bulk. It's pretty good for what it is. Not the kind of thing I would usually run out and buy, but if I put a dollop of Five Brothers in with it, or maybe a coin or two of Happy Bogie or something like that (might try that leter tonight!), I could totally rock this stuff. I'll definitely finish the sample.

Might as well tell me what it is, Cap'n. That's about as close as I'm going to get with this one.
Last update on April 27, 6:19 pm by gahdzila.
gahdzila said...

No way. Chocolate flake is puny compared to this stuff. And it ain't chocolate, either. But it is a flake, and it is by Samuel Gawith!

Okay final guess before I am satisfied that I have given it a good run. I will guess 1792 flake. If I am wrong then no more hints, just tell me.
Falling down gives us the opportunity to prove we are strong enough to stand back up.
Captain Call said...

Okay final guess before I am satisfied that I have given it a good run. I will guess 1792 flake. If I am wrong then no more hints, just tell me.

Yep, you got it - 1792 Flake. The topping is tonquin, and it screams at me, but I guess it isn't that overpowering to everyone. I read on a forum somewhere somebody describe the tonquin flavor as "vanilla and licorice had a baby," and that's pretty accurate to my taste buds.
gahdzila said...

Yep, you got it - 1792 Flake. The topping is tonquin, and it screams at me, but I guess it isn't that overpowering to everyone. I read on a forum somewhere somebody describe the tonquin flavor as "vanilla and licorice had a baby," and that's pretty accurate to my taste buds.

Yes! I knew it! This is indeed good tobacco.

One thing that I have noticed is that this is one blend that mellows a lot when aggressively dried. Don't like the tonquin? Dry that stuff. I can only barely note the tonquin when I do that.
Sample #4 from Eric.

The tin note definitely gives this away as a Lat blend. I'm guessing this was originally in cake form based on a bit in the bag, but the vast majority had already been rubbed out. It lit right up and was very good from the start. There was a nice balance between the latakia and the rest of the blend. Definitely not a Lat bomb. I detected a bit of tang which leads me to believe it's more of a true English with some Oriental in it?
Gregg

Blind Man's Puff Reviewer
gahdzila said...

Might as well tell me what it is, Cap'n. That's about as close as I'm going to get with this one.

Sample A is Peterson Sweet Killarney. You were spot on on all of it
Falling down gives us the opportunity to prove we are strong enough to stand back up.
McGreggor57 said...

Sample #4 from Eric.

The tin note definitely gives this away as a Lat blend. I'm guessing this was originally in cake form based on a bit in the bag, but the vast majority had already been rubbed out. It lit right up and was very good from the start. There was a nice balance between the latakia and the rest of the blend. Definitely not a Lat bomb. I detected a bit of tang which leads me to believe it's more of a true English with some Oriental in it?

Correct. It's more of an English type blend that does have Orientals in it.
TRADER FEEDBACK

Come to The Dark Side. We have Other People's Cigars.
Captain Call said...

Sample A is Peterson Sweet Killarney. You were spot on on all of it

Woah. Tobaccoreviews says it is a caramel flavored aro. Weird, I didn't taste caramel at all.

Sample B looks to be another aro, and I'm aro'ed out at the moment, so I decided to skip to Sample C.

Just looking at Sample C and smelling the jar note, I think I know what it is already!!! Ribbon cut, light to medium brown. Perfect moisture, perfect burn so far. Tastes GREAT. Definitely has a significant perique component. Thin Virginias don't taste right to me with too much perique.....it just feels wrong, like dumping hot sauce on ice cream. But this stuff is thick enough to carry a heavy pepper note with grace. Nice dose of vitamin N - medium strong, not over the top.

Sample C is Peterson Irish Oak. No doubt about it.
Last update on April 28, 8:32 pm by gahdzila.
McGreggor57 said...

Sample #4 from Eric.

Spy I think I know this one
gahdzila said...

Spy I think I know this one

PM me and I'll tell you if you're right. Smile
TRADER FEEDBACK

PM me and I'll tell you if you're right. Smile

He was wrong. Smile
TRADER FEEDBACK

gahdzila said...

Woah. Tobaccoreviews says it is a caramel flavored aro. Weird, I didn't taste caramel at all.

Sample B looks to be another aro, and I'm aro'ed out at the moment, so I decided to skip to Sample C.

Just looking at Sample C and smelling the jar note, I think I know what it is already!!! Ribbon cut, light to medium brown. Perfect moisture, perfect burn so far. Tastes GREAT. Definitely has a significant perique component. Thin Virginias don't taste right to me with too much perique.....it just feels wrong, like dumping hot sauce on ice cream. But this stuff is thick enough to carry a heavy pepper note with grace. Nice dose of vitamin N - medium strong, not over the top.

Sample C is Peterson Irish Oak. No doubt about it.

You got it
Had some more of Monty's #4 on the drive home. I'm not sure if it's Va or burley that's cutting the Lat and Or. It's so smooth I'm leaning toward Va. I'm also thinking it might be a McClelland blend. Any closer Eric?
Gregg

Blind Man's Puff Reviewer
   likes this.