I've tried several more bowls of Eric's sample #1 and really don't get much. The tin note is about the only thing distinguishable, and even that could be wrong. LOL

I'm going with Altadis Strawberry Delight.
Gregg

Blind Man's Puff Reviewer
McGreggor57 said...

I've tried several more bowls of Eric's sample #1 and really don't get much. The tin note is about the only thing distinguishable, and even that could be wrong. LOL

I'm going with Altadis Strawberry Delight.

Nope. That would be Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake. You were right on the berry note though.
TRADER FEEDBACK

Come to The Dark Side. We have Other People's Cigars.
Ok. On to Sample C from Gregg.

Judging from what I see I would call this a Virginia base. There's a definite smattering of latakia in it. Not overpowering, but enough to notics, More after the bowl is finished.
TRADER FEEDBACK

Ok. On to Sample C from Gregg.

Judging from what I see I would call this a Virginia base. There's a definite smattering of latakia in it. Not overpowering, but enough to notice, More after the bowl is finished.

After smoking it I would reevaluate it as a burley/latakia blend. It didn't smoke as hot as a Virginia would. That's about all I could venture to guess though. I don't detect any kind of stand out note to it. It just seems to be a basic english to me that I would smoke purely for the latakia flavor.

What've I got here Gregg?
TRADER FEEDBACK

After smoking it I would reevaluate it as a burley/latakia blend. It didn't smoke as hot as a Virginia would. That's about all I could venture to guess though. I don't detect any kind of stand out note to it. It just seems to be a basic english to me that I would smoke purely for the latakia flavor.

What've I got here Gregg?

Not bad. There's a bit of VA, along with the burley and lat. You have been smoking some C&D Purple Cow.
Gregg

gahdzila said...

More Sample B, in a clay this time.

I noticed while packing this bowl that there are a few strings of broken flake in the mix. And I get a little bite if I push it too hard. So there's probably a little hint of Virginia in there. Still, I'm sticking with my original thoughts that this is mostly a cavendish based light aromatic. No pepper this time, so I think that was a little ghost hiding in my cob. The topping I get is slightly sweet, slightly creamy, reminds me of some sort of candy - not quite chocolate, not quite vanilla, maybe nougat, maybe caramel. It is very pleasant, but it's really mild.

I've been sifting through some reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, and here's my guess. This is the best I can come up with, so if it's wrong, just go ahead and tell me.

I think Samples A and B got mixed up. Maybe mislabeled by Luke, but likely mixed up by me - when I received the samples, I dumped the ziplocks in jars and marked the jars, and it's totally plausible that I marked these two wrong. Or maybe Luke is just trying to mess with my head LOL. Or maybe I have the palate of a goat Big Laugh. Anyway, here's what I think:

I think this one (what I have labeled sample B) is actually Peterson Sweet Killarney (which Luke said sample A was, but didn't fit with what I was tasting in sample A). TR description of Sweet Killarney - "A unique mixture of selected tobaccos including golden Virginia and Black Cavendish, topped with a cream caramel flavor. To make this wonderful tobacco even more attractive, it is blended with hand-rubbed Virginia flake which results in a fantastic aroma." Sample B fits this description much better than the other sample. Caramel? Check. Hand rubbed Virginia flake? Check!

And I think the other one (what I called sample A) might possibly be Peterson Connoisseur's Choice. TR description - "A satisfying, spicy and aromatic blend of Black Cavendish, Golden and Red Virginia, mixed with luxury broken flake. The aromatic recipe of Tropical fruit, Vanilla & Rum make this blend smooth and very pleasant." Tropical fruit and booze? Yep, that's what it tasted like to me!

Might as well go ahead and tell me, as that's about as close as I'm going to be able to get.

So you have guessed on all four. You got the 965 and the Irish oak, and I do believe there was a mixup on the labeling on one end. I won't say it was yours or mine but I doubt it was yours. You got the Peterson sweet Killarney, and the last you are thinking is connoisseurs choice is davidoff Scottish mixture. I apologize for my tardiness in replying. A close family friend passed unexpectedly and I dropped everything and drove halfway across the state to be with them. I left everything behind but what I needed just to get by.
Falling down gives us the opportunity to prove we are strong enough to stand back up.
Captain Call said...

So you have guessed on all four. You got the 965 and the Irish oak, and I do believe there was a mixup on the labeling on one end. I won't say it was yours or mine but I doubt it was yours. You got the Peterson sweet Killarney, and the last you are thinking is connoisseurs choice is davidoff Scottish mixture. I apologize for my tardiness in replying. A close family friend passed unexpectedly and I dropped everything and drove halfway across the state to be with them. I left everything behind but what I needed just to get by.

I just PM'ed the reminder because I thought maybe you missed the reply. Not a problem at all, no apologies needed...family always comes first. My condolences on the loss of your loved one.
The house that TAD built - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/gahdzila
Tony said...

I'll grab you a couple of ounces when I get back to Columbus next week if they still have any. It is Wessex Burley Flake. It is not made anymore, there is now Wessex Burley Slice or something like that, but I haven't tried it. The owner of Smoker's Haven says that they will make it for him though.

Yah - NEVER would have figured out that one!

Surprised that it is a burley, actually - I would never get that. Guess I need to try Solani's Aged Burley as well.

New blend slope! New blend slope!
   likes this.
Working on Sample D from Gregg right now. It's got that quintessential ketchup like smell to it, but there's also a nice perique aspect to complement what I believe is some light Latakia. Could this be a Frog Morton blend?
TRADER FEEDBACK

Working on Sample D from Gregg right now. It's got that quintessential ketchup like smell to it, but there's also a nice perique aspect to complement what I believe is some light Latakia. Could this be a Frog Morton blend?

Yes on the Lat, but it's not a McClelland blend.
Gregg

McGreggor57 said...

Yes on the Lat, but it's not a McClelland blend.

I'm hoping to get to the last two this week. I smoked a bowl of Sample D, but m stumped on it. I'm gonna give it one more shot then throw in the towel.
TRADER FEEDBACK

I'm hoping to get to the last two this week. I smoked a bowl of Sample D, but m stumped on it. I'm gonna give it one more shot then throw in the towel.

So I finished off Sample D on the way home. 2 minutes after firing it up I'd swear that this was Middleton's Walnut. What've we got here Gregg?
TRADER FEEDBACK

How are we doing now for closure here? Tony owes me one more guess ..... Pipe
Desertlifter said...

How are we doing now for closure here? Tony owes me one more guess ..... Pipe

I've still got one sample left to guess on. Planning on hitting it tomorrow.
TRADER FEEDBACK

So I finished off Sample D on the way home. 2 minutes after firing it up I'd swear that this was Middleton's Walnut. What've we got here Gregg?

C&D Balkan 81. Sample E will probably be pretty easy for you.
Gregg