You've got some great suggestions here. I will be giving these a read for sure.
Burn it long, and burn it slow.

a trues story. in fact the story that inspired the insane captain Ahab of moby dick. assembled from the diaries of the crew voyage into madness is the story of a crew setting out on a hopefully profitable whaling voyage on the whale ship Sharon. and the horrors they endure as the captain becomes crueler by the day, beating his steward to death in front of the man, several crew desert forcing the psychotic capt to take on islanders looking for adventure and soon turning his racist fueled hatred against them until the poor bastard have no choice but to kill him.

Full of beautiful sailing narrative and descriptions of a place and time that we can never see, as well as the horrible cruelty and fear one man can create. showing that the only belief keeps us cowed by rules in a place where they can never be enforced, a good book that may keep you going past bedtime.
This is the hunter’s badge of glory,
That he protect and tend his quarry,
Hunt with honour, as is due,
And through the beast to God is true
My favorite's are Inferno - Dante allegiri, The Odyssey - Homer, and Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card. Read Inferno in verse, so worth it. and I am not really into scifi but Ender's game has changed my opinion on that.
Shagwa
I'm also currently into the 4th book from the Game of Thrones series. Fantastic!
Shagwa
Game of thrones is a damn good read. The whole series.

Now another good book is Del Torro's and Chuck Hogans The Strain.

I have not been that big into fiction as of late but I really enjoyed this one.
A plane full of dead people arrive in new york and as it is being investigated Four " survivors are found. As time passes it is revealed that everyone on board was attacked and infected with a body changing parasite that makes them into a hideous vampire like creature. The infection spreads like wildfire as investigators find their efforts to stop it hampered and delayed by superiors who seem to want this to happen. Aided by an ailing holocaust survivor who fought the source of this infection in ww2 the two main investigators face a city rapidly turning into those who hunt the night.
This is the hunter’s badge of glory,
That he protect and tend his quarry,
Hunt with honour, as is due,
And through the beast to God is true
Kicking it old school - rereading the Shannara series by Brooks. Never read more than the first three anyway - didn't know that the Knight of the Word stories were prequels.
Desertlifter said...

Kicking it old school - rereading the Shannara series by Brooks. Never read more than the first three anyway - didn't know that the Knight of the Word stories were prequels.

I've only read the first three as well, but I really enjoyed them. I recently picked up the 30th aniversary edition of Sword of Shannara...I can't believe it's been that long since I first read it.
“ I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. ”— Kenneth Clark
http://darrelmorris.fineartstudioonline.com/
DarrelMorris said...

I've only read the first three as well, but I really enjoyed them. I recently picked up the 30th aniversary edition of Sword of Shannara...I can't believe it's been that long since I first read it.

Nice! I'm up to reading Antrax from the Voyage of the Jerle Shanarra. His later stuff is better, as one might expect.
Just finished this.

By the time I got to the end I was in love with it!
Shagwa