I was fortunate to receive a job offer last week for Manteca Fire Department. I am going to start the background process next week. I originally interviewed at the end of February for it and I explained my skill set as intermediate needing some extra training to bring me up to speed in the new fire protection system field. The Fire Marshal replied several different times during the interview that he needed someone with more experience for the job. I figured I didn’t get the job since I hadn’t heard from him in awhile. Out of the blue on Thursday, I get a job offer. His replies during my interview have me concerned.

I have an interview in Oxnard CA this Thursday. The city is just south of my old job in Ventura (the one I had for almost 3 years) and I have chief officers from Ventura writing me recommendation letters for it. I feel I have a really good chance of getting hired for it.

Oxnard is 1.5 hours away (75 miles) and Manteca is 4.5 to 6 depending on traffic (330 miles) from my parents who have health problems. I help them out as much as I can. My Girlfriends parents live next door to Oxnard and she really wants to be near her parents.

Opportunity in Manteca I feel is better than Oxnard training and learning wise. Also, I feel in the future, I would have a better shot at promotions since it is a smaller department.

Hard decisions ahead. I want to make the right move for my career but also want what is best for my girlfriend, her parents, my parents, and myself.
Bloodwood87 said...

I was fortunate to receive a job offer last week for Manteca Fire Department. I am going to start the background process next week. I originally interviewed at the end of February for it and I explained my skill set as intermediate needing some extra training to bring me up to speed in the new fire protection system field. The Fire Marshal replied several different times during the interview that he needed someone with more experience for the job. I figured I didn’t get the job since I hadn’t heard from him in awhile. Out of the blue on Thursday, I get a job offer. His replies during my interview have me concerned.

I have an interview in Oxnard CA this Thursday. The city is just south of my old job in Ventura (the one I had for almost 3 years) and I have chief officers from Ventura writing me recommendation letters for it. I feel I have a really good chance of getting hired for it.

Oxnard is 1.5 hours away (75 miles) and Manteca is 4.5 to 6 depending on traffic (330 miles) from my parents who have health problems. I help them out as much as I can. My Girlfriends parents live next door to Oxnard and she really wants to be near her parents.

Opportunity in Manteca I feel is better than Oxnard training and learning wise. Also, I feel in the future, I would have a better shot at promotions since it is a smaller department.

Hard decisions ahead. I want to make the right move for my career but also want what is best for my girlfriend, her parents, my parents, and myself.

Prayers for you and your family my friend. I know your path will be one of trials and blessings. The hardest part is seeing the trials as the blessings for your future.

Right here in your corner my friend.
When its time to relax, burn what you like.
I hope all the pieces fall in place for you buddy!

Good luck and prayers with you guys.
Big decisions are never easy. My suggestion is to go with your gut. Best of luck my friend.
Always hard to decide, but FWIW since Barbara Bush just passed, I would consider her speech on family.