Viewing Single Post
Dan said...

A question for those who have built with spanish cedar in the past. How critical is it that there are no nails used? I have read some humidor makers take great pride in not using any nails or glue. In securing the paneling to the inside of the box, and especially in making a ledge for the box drawer to sit on, should I try to engineer a system where no nails or glue are needed? I think it could be done, but it would be much more difficult.

I am not sure if that question will make a great deal of sense without a full understanding of the design, I would like the top to have a box drawer with shelves and I plan on having the bottom of the drawer vented to try to maintain as much of a single environment in the whole cabinet as possible. All the same, I do plan on having humidity packs (of some sort) and hygrometers in both the top and bottom. But in ordering cedar planks, if it is important to not use nails, the planks will need to be longer.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and interest in those who have replied already.

IMO....

I used clamps and as few brads as possible. I used moisture restant glue. Not water proof. No need for that. If you really fit up good you can do pressure fit. When you add humidity the planks should take up a lot of interference. As for getting air though drawer bottoms, if you fill the drawer I would not expect the humidity to equalize without humidification on all levels.
Drawers... I used full extension drawer guides. Super easy to install and excellent access to your collection.

I hope my ideas give you some kind of support.
I was a.custom cabinet maker in my younger years which lent some experience to the building of my wineador.
When its time to relax, burn what you like.